Do you want to fix highlights which have become dark? If yes, then do not go anywhere and go through the guide which is about how to lighten highlights that are too dark!
You can lighten the highlights by using a clarifying shampoo. They bleed and remove the color and eventually lighten them. In addition, there are some home remedies which you can follow. In this concern, you can use baking soda, color remover, or bleach shampoo for lightening the highlights.
Learn more: Best Ash Blonde Hair Dye to Get Rid of Orange
How to lighten highlights that are too dark?
There is no denying that highlighted strands bring so much depth and glamor to your hair. But the process to apply them should be performed like a pro. The highlighted strands should neither be too dark nor too light. You can go through the below-mentioned guide which tells you the right way of lightening up your highlights.
Using a clarifying shampoo
The primary hack which you follow to lighten the highlights that are too dark, you can use a clarifying shampoo. It will remove the excess color from your hair and make them light and even-looking. Give a quick wash to your hair by using a high-quality clarifying shampoo and scrub your highlighted strands as well.
These shampoos are also given the name of lightening shampoos because their primary purpose is to bleed and remove the excessive color! A few of the washes are needed and you will get the desired shade on your highlights. Like, if you have started using this shampoo on 20-03-2022, then after ten days, you will get the result.
Moreover, pick up the clarifying shampoo which has sulfates present in it. In this way, it will be easier for you to fade the color. The chosen shampoo should not be meant for color-treated hair. Besides, you can use deep conditioners for correcting the highlights that are too dark.
Using a dish soap shampoo
Some like using dish soap as a shampoo for stripping and removing the extra color from your highlights. This tip will help you lighten the highlights which have become too dark. Most importantly, these soaps are packed with extra color stripping potential and you can definitely make use of them. We know that dish soap seems to be super drying but it can lighten the highlighted strands in less time.
Use them a little as they are comparatively harsher than clarifying shampoos. 2 to 3 drops are enough and this trick will fade the highlights which have become immensely dark. As dish soap has drying properties, it is recommended to use a conditioner. You can even add lemon juice in the dish soap to increase its color stripping power. Celebs like Kate Winslet have followed this hack and gained desired and satisfactory results.
Applying purple shampoo
Those girls who notice that their highlights are dark or become brassy in tone must use a purple shampoo. This will instantly help you lighten the streaks and gives them the even look. The application of this shampoo will help you get rid of the yellow and orange tones and bring back the cool blonde streaks. Just make a lather of this purple shampoo and use it once a week.
Learn more: I Dyed My Hair And Only My Roots Change Color
Applying lemon juice
Do you know that lemon juice can do wonders for lightening the highlighted hair which has become super dark? Yes, it is true! Girls from countries like India have tried this hack and gained 100% results.
- You only have to mix 1 tablespoon of lemon juice with 3 tablespoons of conditioner and apply this mixture to your hair. The usage of lemon juice will strip and remove the color and the conditioner will bring back the moisture and needed hydration. If you do not want to use conditioner, you can add coconut oil instead!
- Make sure to apply the lemon juice starting from the ends and then apply to the roots. You will start to notice that the roots will lighten speedily.
- After that, you can rinse them by using only cold water.
- Let the mixture stay for 10 minutes and then give a wash to your hair. Apply the mixture on a daily basis constantly for two weeks.
Use Color Remover
Color remover can help you a lot by lightening the highlighted strands and they no longer look dark! You might have known these removers with the name of the color eraser. This one is a chemically-based item and it reverses the overall oxidation process of the color molecules which are present inside the hair shaft. These removers give out a sulfur smell. They will dry your strands a bit, so do not get panic or worried.
- To apply,, mix together all of the components which come along in the color remover kit. You will generally get a powder and also a developer in the kit.
- Take a plastic bowl and mix these items. Do the patch test beforehand and apply the remover on only one strand of yours. This will give you an idea of whether the desired result will come out or not.
- Get the hair dye brush and start applying the color remover! Let the remover leave like this for 15 minutes.
- The last step is to rinse them off with cold water.
Using baking soda
The list is endless when it comes to DIY fixes and among them, you can use baking soda. This ingredient quickly and effortlessly lightens the highlights. If you think that none of the above-mentioned hacks have helped you, you can try out this amazing hack.
Prepare a mixture containing shampoo, baking soda, and lemon juice. Apply it to your wet hair and let the mixture remain on your hair for at least duration of 45 minutes. After that, you can rinse your strands. Most importantly, lemon juice is highly and supremely acidic in nature. That is why adding a few drops of it and they are enough. On following this remedy, your streaks will become one to two shades lighter.
Learn more: I Dyed My Hair And My Roots Are Too Light
Using a Bleach Shampoo
The demand for using bleach shampoos is getting higher because they help you out lightening the highlighted strands which have become uneven or too dark. Get a good-quality and damaging-free bleach shampoo and let us know your experience. Remember that if you have used the professional hair color line, only then you should be using bleach shampoos. It makes your streaks color softer and lighter and you will get the best hair look at the end of the day.
Use Hydrogen peroxide
Uncountable experts from the hair coloring field have recommended the use of hydrogen peroxide. It lightens your highlighted strands which have become darker. You can use it individually or mix it with some other ingredient; the choice is up to you. Go to a professional stylist and ask him to perform this process on your hair.
Moreover, it is completely safe and damaging-free to follow and it will not ruin your highlights look. If you will perform this process at home, then satisfactory results will not come out.
Some customers have complained that hydrogen peroxide lightens their streaks but damages their cuticles as well. It enters into your cuticles and there is the likelihood that your strands will get damaged. Once you have applied the hydrogen peroxide, keep it on your hair for 30 minutes. You can prolong the time if your hair is thick and the color intensity is more.
Honey or apple cider vinegar mixture
One of the quickest hacks and fixes which you can go for is to apply the mixture of honey or apple cider vinegar to your highlighted strands. You can lighten them up by preparing this effective mixture. Make sure to go with the 4:1 ratio of honey/apple cider vinegar and water. You can even add a bit of hydrogen peroxide to get better and more satisfactory results.
Apply the whole mixture to your hair and then cover them with a shower cap. The shower cap will produce heat and you will get light streaks. Let the mixture remain on your hair for a duration of two hours. Lastly, you can rinse with cold water.
Applying a mixture of honey, olive oil, and cinnamon
The next hack will do wonders! Prepare a mixture of honey, olive oil, and cinnamon and apply it. The single application of this mixture will lighten your highlights if they have become dark. You will notice a visible difference if you apply this mixture 3 to 4 times. Olive oil addition will bring maximum hydration and makes your highlights more flawless and lush-looking. Thus, it is an effective DIY solution that you can go for. Instead of using olive oil, you can add coconut oil or chamomile tea.
What to do after lightening the highlights?
There are some tips and preventive measures which you can follow after lightening the highlights. In following these tips, your streaks will get an even look and they will look impressive as well:
- Regularly apply hydrating masks because this practice will nourish, 100% moisturize, and hydrate your strands.
- You need to oil them at least twice a week so that the color remains intact and the color of your highlights remain locked as well.
- Taking care of your hair will not strip and remove the vital and natural oils from your strands.
- Use a leave-in conditioner if you think that your strands have become dry.
How to avoid turning your highlights becoming too dark?
Professional colorists have come up with a maximum number of tips that helps you prevent turning your highlighted strands from becoming too dark:
- You should always choose the right dye for your highlights. If the color number is incorrect, then your streaks will start to lose color after some time and they will either become too light or too dark.
- Look for good-quality dyes because they retain and lock up the color on your strands for the longest time. It is recommended to compare the dyes, do proper research and then decide which dye brand to go for.
- You should not leave the dye for a too much longer time on your hair. 45 minutes are enough and then you can rinse off.
- If you fail to get a proper shade. Then it is advisable to pick up the shade which is a bit lighter. In this manner, you can even darken it up later on.
- You must not mix the dyes of two different brands. In doing so, disaster and too many destructive results will come out and you will look like a mess.
- Have a consultation with a professional because they can better guide you on which color will suit you.
- If an unwanted tone comes out, you should not freak out and become panic. Instead, calm down and fix the problem.
What other details do you want to know and grab on how to lighten highlights that are too dark! We have shared a maximum number of hacks, super amazing tips, and effective solutions with you.
Giving you a general idea, you can lighten the highlighted strands if they have become dark by using a clarifying shampoo, bleach shampoo, purple shampoo, or color remover. In the DIY hacks and home remedies category, you can apply baking soda, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, honey, or hydrogen peroxide.
The time has come to bring the perfect and even color look to your highlights. Follow the above-written hacks and lighten them up if you think that they look dark. Stay tuned with us and share with us how you take care of your hair!