Having curly hair is both a blessing and a serious task. If you want to make your curly hair bouncy and easy to maintain then you have to opt for a hair styling product which is called curl activator.
A curl activator is a hair product in gel, cream, or hair spray form which enhances hair strands that already have a curl pattern. Curl activator also provides moisture and hydration to your hair and also adds shine to your hair and helps to detangle your hair. It can also turn straight hair into curly hair. It also keeps your hair frizz-free and easy to handle.
10 Best Curl Activator for 4c Natural Hair
There are different curl activators available in the market formulated according to different hair types and these curl activators contain natural products. Curly hair is prone to frizz and dryness so you have to choose the best curl activator that will keep your hair easy to maintain while defining your curls, check out the list below of recommended top 10 Best Curl Activator for 4c Natural Hair :
- Moroccan Oil Curl Defining Cream
- MopTop Curly Hair Custard Gel for Fine Hair
- AG Hair Curl Recoil Curl Activator
- Orange Marmalade Curl Definer Gel
- Briogeo Curl Charisma Rice Amino and Avocado Leave–In Defining Crème
- African Pride Moisture Miracle Shea Butter & Flaxseed Oil Hair Curling Cream
- Sofn’Free Moisturizer & Curl Activator for Natural Hair
- Creme of Nature Argan Oil Moisture Shampoo:
- Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair Moisturizing Curl Activator Cream
- Jessicurl, Rockin’ Ringlets Styling Potion
Moroccan Oil Curl Defining Cream
Moroccan oil curl defining cream is for all hair types and it is also an in one curl defining cream that makes your hair frizz-free and soft. It also enhances your natural curl pattern and gives your hair a gentle look. As it is an all-in-one curl solution cream, then you don’t have to apply any other curling hair product. it contains argan oil and protein which detangle and tames the curls, as a result, hair become frizz-free and bouncy.
You have to apply this best curl activator for straight hair to clean and towel-dried hair to activate and enhance curls. One pump is enough to apply to your hair. Then diffuse hair or you can let them air dry for getting more relaxed curls.
- Weightless styling cream
- Hydrates and redefines the curls
- Also good for conditioning hair.
- Too much moisturizing causes a fair share of shrinkage of hair.
- I have been using it for a few months and I am very pleased with its results. It redefines my curls perfectly and I also love its fragrance and get compliments on the fragrance.
- This is my favorite curl cream. It makes my hair soft and hydrated. If the weather is a bit humid, then I also use a small amount of this curl-defining cream to keep my hair frizz-free.
- Don’t buy this product because it will feel good for the first few months. I started using it a few months back and got amazing results but after 5 months my hair started getting frizz again because of silicon build-up in my hair.
Learn more about: Best Eco Styler Gel for 4c Natural Hair
MopTop Curly Hair Custard Gel for Fine Hair
It is a frizz control best curl activator gel for 4c natural hair that is made for all types of curls and waves. It is made with natural and junk-free ingredients. It is also free from sulfates, parabens and silicone, and Phthalate.
This styling custard gel contains aloe vera, honey, and sea botanicals which provide maximum hold and add sheen and shine to your curls. It is made for natural wave, curl,s or kinky coily texture.
- Leaves healthy radiance
- Nourishes the hair strands
- Softens the hair
- Non-sticky formula
- Requires lots of diffusing
- I love this product because it keeps my curls hydrated and frizz-free. I use it with pentene curl defining mousse and it gives long-lasting shine to my hair.
- My hair is coarse with low porosity and needs a lot of protein also. This product has a decent amount of protein in it. I use it on summer days to get a good hold of my hair.
- I absolutely love this product! I highly recommend this product because of its formula which keeps your hair hydrated.
Learn more: Best Gel to Slick Down 4c Hair
AG Hair Curl Recoil Curl Activator
This best curl defining products for 4c hair strengthens and nourishes the 4c natural hair. It is very light in weight and can be applied to soaking wet hair. This curl activator is formulated from bio-fermented tomato extract which helps in sealing the hair cuticles and encourages the curls.
A little amount of this product is enough for different hairstyles depending on the length and density of the hair. This product hydrate elongates and defines curls very well. It contains natural ingredients which soothe the scalp as well.
- Silicone free
- A little goes a long way
- Moisturizes the curls
- Controls frizz
- Causes some flaking
- It is an amazing product that defines, separates, condition, and hold my natural waves. In one of the reviews, I read that a pea-size amount is enough to hold the curls and it was true. I applied only a pea size amount and it worked like a magic.
- I am using this product for about 10 years and it is by far the most amazing curl activator. It is best for thick, coarse natural curly hairs.
- I love this product !! I have curly frizzy hair and a friend of mine told me to try this product. I applied it to my water-soaked hair because it does not define the curls on dry hair.
Orange Marmalade Curl Definer Gel:
Orange marmalade is the best curl activator for natural hair and gives frizz-free hair shine. It helps to hold your curls very well leaving no stiffness, crunchiness, or residues/ flakes on your scalp. It also gives your hair a smooth touch.
When it comes to formulation, it contains very simple, clear, and effective ingredients. Flaxseed helps to provide nourishment and moisturizes the hair strands. Aloe vera juice acts as a great conditioner and soothes your hair by giving them shine.
- Controls frizz
- Adds curl definition
- I love this product !! I have been using this curl definer for some time and every time it gives my hair a shine and also defines my curls very well.
- I have thick curly hair and this product has proved itself magic for my curls. It is not sticky at all and holds my curls perfectly.
- I have heard and read about this product but due to its expensiveness, I was hesitant to buy it. I bought it last month and on only one application, it has given amazing results. Above all, it does not leave any residue after washing it off.
Briogeo Curl Charisma Rice Amino and Avocado Leave–In Defining Crème:
It hydrates, defines and weatherproof curls providing flexible hold. Briogeo is made from purely natural ingredients which minimize frizz. Rice amino acids lock out the humidity which causes frizz. Avocado oil provides ultra-hydration which retains the moisture and increases elasticity to protect against breakage.
- Long-lasting curls
- Prevent hair breakage
- Controls frizz
- Unpleasant smell
- I really like this product. I really like this product on my super dry curly hair!! I might buy it again. For sure it defines my curls and makes my hair look a lot healthier. Gives the dry curls the right amount of moisture to make them look shiny.
- I am obsessed with this leave-in conditioner. My curls were very much prone to frizz and dryness. After using this product, both of my problems are solved very much.
- Great product, light is weight. Doesn’t give your hair a crunchy or sticky feeling.
African Pride Moisture Miracle Shea Butter & Flaxseed Oil Hair Curling Cream
This best curl activator for black hair contains natural ingredients which deeply moisturize the hair giving them radiant shine. It also leaves the curls smooth and bouncy and easy to manage. Shea butter deeply moisturizes the hair and provides strength and protects the hair from breakage.
It is free from harmful ingredients like minerals, parabens, or sulfates.
- Adds curl definition
- Natural ingredients
- Provides shine
- Strengthen the curls
- Sticky formula
- Works exactly as advertised!! I love this curling cream. It does what it says…. Moisturization defines your curls, and adds shine!
- Loving this product!! it keeps my hair super moisturized and it has a nice consistency.
- A pleasant surprise in a jar. This was a total and pleasant surprise. I have natural 4c hair and this product works great on my hair.
Sofn’Free Moisturizer & Curl Activator for Natural Hair:
It moisturizes hair without giving it a greasy or matt look. It contains vitamin E which helps to restore the natural moisture of the hair. It makes hair non-frizzy. It contains panthenol which conditions the hair and glycerin for softness and shine.
This curl activator is infused with coconut oil and a fresh botanical scent which gives it a fresh tropical scent.
- Softens the hair
- Hydrates the hair
- Reduces frizz
- Fresh botanical fragrance
- Thick formula
- Difficult to use
- Gives tangle-free hair. I really like this product for my hair. It leaves my hair with bouncy curls.
- I love the fragrance and it penetrates the hair rather than sits on top of the hair.
- I added to my damp hair. After a few moments, I could see it activating my curls. Will buy it again.
Creme of Nature Argan Oil Moisture Shampoo:
It is a sulfate-free shampoo that hydrates the hair with exotic shine. It gently cleanses the hair without removing its natural moisture of the hair. It leaves frizz-free hair with a soft touch. It contains natural ingredients which leave the hair soft and easy to handle.
The argan oil in it can moisturize your hair and scalp and protect your hair from everyday damage. By reducing breakage and split ends and keeping your scalp healthy, argan oil may help prevent hair loss for thicker, fuller hair.
- Good for detangling the hair
- Moisturizes the hair
- Prevents split ends.
- Controls frizz
- Unpleasant fragrance
- It gave new life to my hair. my hair was getting drier and lifeless. My cousin asked me to use this product and it did magic to my lifeless hair.
- I love all of these products. The shampoo and the conditioner proved to be very helpful in detangling the hair.
- This product is amazing. The shine and softness it provides are just phenomenal. I will use this product for the rest of my life.
Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair Moisturizing Curl Activator Cream:
It smooths and enhances the natural curl pattern giving frizz-free volume. It contains shea butter which moisturizes the curls giving a healthier and shinier look. It also restores the real beauty of the hair.
it hydrates and nourishes the curls removing dandruff from the hair. It also removes excess oil from the scalp.
- Increases volume
- Moisturizes hair
- Leaves the white residue
- I have used this curl activator for years. It helps define my 4c natural hair. If applied to wet hair, it may feel a little bit heavy.
- This curl activator is best for my daughter’s 4c natural hair. It definitely helped tame frizz and define curls so look bouncier.
- I absolutely love this shea butter moisturizer. It works wonderfully on my hair.
Jessicurl, Rockin’ Ringlets Styling Potion:
It is a powerful curl enhancer that will boost waves into curls. It has a thin consistency which helps to control frizz. It will also make your hair soft and easy to manage.
It contains natural ingredients which make your hair soft and shiny. Aloe vera gives your hair light moisture. Avocado and jojoba oil make your hair soft and shiny. Flaxseed prevents the buildup on the scalp.
- Moisturizes the hair
- Prevent split ends
- Gives volume
- A bit heavy on the hair
- I love this product. after applying this product, I felt a little bit of stickiness in my hair but my curls were well defined and bouncy when air-dried.
- Absolutely mind-blowing curl enhancer. My hair texture is very much thick and difficult to manage but this product did a transformation in my hair because it made pretty loose ringlets and my hair become very easy to manage,
Frequently Asked Question And Answers (FAQs)
Question01: What is a curl activator?
Answer: A curl activator is a hair product in gel, cream, or hair spray form which enhances hair strands that already have a curl pattern. It also provides moisture and hydration to your hair and also adds shine to your hair and helps to detangle your hair. It can also turn straight hair into curly hair. It also keeps your hair frizz-free and easy to handle.
Question02: How to use curl activator on 4c hair?
Answer: A curl activator can be applied as a moisturizer before applying your hair styling product. On freshly washed hair, divide your hair into equal sections and take a small amount of curl activator on your palms and apply it to those sections one by one.
Question03: How do I make my natural 4c hair curly?
Answer: There are different techniques. First is the moisturizing technique. After washing your hair and without air-drying your hair, you can apply the curl activator. Another method is the braid and curls method. In this method, you should apply the curl activator to your wet hair and then braid your hair into a number of hairs and leave them for half an hour.
Question04: What does a curl activator do?
Answer: A curl activator defines the natural curl pattern of hair more efficiently than any other hair styling product. It also provides the hair with moisture and keeps them frizz-free even in a humid environment.
Question05: Can curl activator be used on natural hair?
Answer: A curl activator can be used on natural hair if there is enough moisture. After applying it to the wet hair, braid the hair into a number of braids and leave it for at least two hours to get the best result.
Curls activators are basically multipurpose hair products that can be used for different purposes. They can be curl enhancers, moisturizers, or humectants. They can be used to increase shine in the hair or to add volume to the hair. They can be used to control frizz or to add moisture to your dull hair. All of these functions depend upon the ingredients of the curl activators.
Curl activators are usually made from natural ingredients like aloe vera, shea butter, and flax seeds and they are also free from hair damaging agents like sulfates, parabens, or silicones.
Curls activators can be used alone just to add shine to your dull hair or with other hair styling products. But they should be applied before applying any hair styling products.
Curl activators must be chosen according to your curl pattern. If you have wavy hair then you must use a lightweight curl activator that will retain your natural curl pattern.